[AccessD] Compact and Repair on Close

Max Wanadoo max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 10:11:53 CST 2007

I think that the main cause of bloat is the use of Memo Fields.
If you have no Memo Fields then bloat is very small.
When Access writes data to a Memo Field it appends it to the end of the
current contents, effectively skipping what was there before.  This is in
order to increase (apparent) speed.  Every time you enter/exit a Memo Field
it increases it size even if you only change one byte.  A 1Kb field become
2Kb then 4Kb and so on.
Compact eliminates and reduces the Memo field back to its current contents.

If anybody knows different I would love to hear it.
Thanks
Max