[AccessD] Why is Runtime Free?

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Sun Feb 4 10:40:27 CST 2007

I've been reading through Microsoft's site on Access 2007, and found a
couple of things:

1) The user level security model now in Access 2003 and previous is removed
in Access 2007.  However, you will be able to upgrade an Access 2003
database and continue to use the current user level security model.

2) You can develop Access Projects (.adp) in Access 2007.

Without a security model, developers can't develop useful multi-user
databases.  By removing security from Access 2007, and making the runtime
version free, developers are encouraged to use Access, but forced to use a
different BE database.  This forcing/encouraging will (MS hopes) lead to
more usage of SQL Server 2005 where it's security model can be used to
protect the data.

The full versions of SQL Server are profitable for MS, as well as
competitive with Oracle in some situations (I think).

Well - that's my guess!

Dan Waters