[AccessD] Form stopped working

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Feb 6 12:31:17 CST 2007

I have a bound form that does initial data entry for claims received.  The
form has been working for several years, suddenly it doesn't.  A virtually
identical form still does.

The claim table is broken into pieces.  There is a main tblClaim where info
common to all claims is entered.  There are three other tables which are 1
to 1 with tblClaim.  There is a tblClaimLTD, tblClaimSTD and tblClaimWP.
Each of these three tables have one and only one record in them for each
record in tblClaim, but tblClaim will only have a record for STD type
claims, tblLTD will only have records for LTD type claims and WP will only
have records for WP type claims.

In order to enter the data I created three different data input forms, one
for STD, LTD and WP.  Each looks similar except that the data out in the
"claim type specific" table will be displayed on their respective input
forms, i.e. the frmLTD form will show data from tblClaim and tblClaimLTD,
frmSTD will show data from tblClaim and tblClaimSTD etc.

In order to create the record out in the claim type specific table, I use
code in the form's BeforeInsert event like the following:

    Me!CLST_ID = Me!Rec_ID

That line is supposed to place the PK just generated by the autonumber in
tblClaim into the PKID field of tblClaimSTD.  The same code runs in frmLTD
except that the control is bound to the PKID in tblClaimLTD.

The three forms have worked for several years.  Suddenly the STD form fails
with an error "the control cannot be updated" on the above line.

I have decompiled / compiled / compacted / repaired the FE and the BE.  I
have created a new form and imported all of the controls and code from the
failing form.  I have created a new BE and imported all of the tables into
the new BE.  All of these things have failed to fix the problem.  The LTD
form still works, the STD form still fails.  I have examined the two form's
properties, toggling back and forth between them side by side, no
differences.  I have likewise examined the individual text box's properties
side by side, no differences.  I have examined properties of the PK field of
the two child tables, no differences.  I have looked for different indexes
on the two table's PKs, no differences.

I have run out of things to try, and this still doesn't work.

Anything come to mind out in the brain trust?

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting