[AccessD] Connections and Performance

Michael R Mattys mmattys at rochester.rr.com
Fri Feb 2 09:07:26 CST 2007

Heh :) It took me a few minutes, but I found this 'explanation'
http://www.crystaltech.com/Newsletters/news2006-08tech.aspx

Access vs. MS SQL or MySQL
If you are utilizing a Microsoft Access database with your website,
one strong recommendation would be to change to SQL or MySQL.
Access uses a file server system approach where each user reads
and writes directly to the raw data tables, making it ideal for use as a
desktop solution at home.

However, Access is not optimized for use with a large number of
concurrent connections and does not scale for large databases. As more
users connect to an Access database, the performance starts to degrade
rapidly. Even moderately-trafficked websites can easily have 5 or more
users at one time which can cause Access to lock the number of connections.

MySQL and SQL, which utilize a more efficient client-server structure,
can support hundreds, even thousands of concurrent users for a much more
secure and stable level of performance. Since they can be configured to
effectively accommodate multiple users with a high level of uptime,
reliability
and scalability that Access cannot offer, they are ideal for an online
production environment.

Michael R. Mattys
MapPoint & Access Dev
www.mattysconsulting.com