[AccessD] Connections and Performance

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Feb 5 16:06:18 CST 2007

Most 'articles' that 'document' Access performance are doing so based
upon poorly designed systems.  You have to design your system based on
system requirements.  If you are going to have 1 to 5 users, you can
keep everything bound, and be reasonably assured that things will work
well.  If you are talking 5 to 30 users, now it's time to pick up some
of the slack.  Timeout forms and reports that are going to tie up db
connections.  30 to 100 users, you better start thinking unbound.  100+
users, better start thinking about something other then Access as a
front end (I would recommend ASP).

The point is that JET, as a db system, can handle a lot, but Access, as
a Front End provides more bells and whistles that tax the backend more.
Case in point, we have our production database in Oracle, on it's own
honking box.  Huge server, loads of memory and disk space, but when
certain things are run, even that system gets taken to It's knees.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Dan Waters
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 10:13 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Connections and Performance

Drew,

I read this somewhere - either in MS documentation or in a book where I
believe the author.

Here's the reason I was asking:

At a certain customer site, they experienced a dramatic performance
slowdown
at a time when about 10 people were logged on concurrently.  Each client
PC
has it's own FE.  I know that they open the system and leave the process
screens open, all of which are bound.  I want to suggest that they
remember
to close the process screens so that just the main screen is open, which
is
not bound.  This way a fewer number of connections are being used at any
one
time and performance would probably be acceptable.  This particular
customer, I believe, does not have a very good network, so that is part
of
the problem.  But that's unlikely to get improved, so I wanted to
provide at
least a partial solution, hence my question.

I've also heard that a connection is made not based on whether a form is
open and bound, but on whether or not there is data traffic between to
and
from a table, which only takes a small part of a second.

So what causes the performance slowdown when only 10 client PC's are
logged
on, and what could be done to improve this?

Dan Waters