[AccessD] Queries are messed up!

pcs at azizaz.com pcs at azizaz.com
Fri Feb 9 18:48:03 CST 2007

This 'nice' feature bit me severely this week as well.

For years I have been sending minor modifications to remote
users by creating a small .mdb container to carry the
tables, queries, modified forms etc. ....

I recently updated to A2003. This week a modified query that
was imported to the production database now instead of
creating the expected dozen or so records in a temp table
started off adding thousands upon thousands of records.....
an investigation revealed that the inner joins between two
tables had been removed by the 'helpful feature' and as a
result turned the query into a cartesian product query (i
think it's called) .....

Unfortunately - unlike for example choosing Access table
type: Access 2000 or Access2002-2003 which can be set
permanently in your options, this nice feature cannot be
turned off as the permanent default, but appears to have to
be turned OFF as the FIRST thing you do EVERY TIME you
create a NEW database....

Allen Browne writes about the issue and gives pointers to
all the things that according to MS can go wrong with this
feature turned on:
http://www.allenbrowne.com/bug-03.html

Is there ANY way of turning this feature off permanently, by
settings in the registry for example?

</...deep sigh>

regards
borge