[AccessD] Multiple Tables

Hollis, Virginia hollisvj at pgdp.usec.com
Mon Feb 19 10:50:19 CST 2007

Tbl_Main is just where most of the other fields are, the data.
Anyway....

So would tbl_Model have all the ID fields (FKs?) from each of the other
tables and a description of the Model? All the other tables would just
have their own PK & description?

************************
I don't see the usefulness of tblMain. I would model this:

tbl_Manufacturer (PK ManufacturerID, ...)
tbl_Model (PK ModelID, FK ManufacturerID, FK TypeID, ...)
tbl_Type (PK TypeID, ...)

As for UI, there are dozens of ways you could go.

You could present a main form with a subform for models. Code a
double-click in the subform to invoke a data-entry style form to make it
easier to update.

You could create a pair of listboxes on the main form, one for
Manufacturer and the other for Model. A single-click on the Manufacturer
list refreshes the Model list. A double-click on either invokes the
data-entry form.

Finally, I think the sample data you presented is inside out. You ought
to begin with the manufacturer, then look at the models, and finally the
type. (Admittedly, it might go Type first and then Model. I can see
that, in some situations. Ford makes lots of trucks, for example, so the
Type be be higher in the order of things than the Model.)

hth,

Arthur Fuller
Technical Writer, Data Modeler, SQL Sensei
Artful Databases Organization