[AccessD] combo from multiple sources

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 20 16:14:38 CST 2007

I use a callback to fill a list with files related to records.  The files
that can be seen depend on the users rights and are stored in different
folders.  For example, only certain people have rights to the estimate take
off files, others have rights to general correspondence and then there are
confidential documents relating to a record.  Some confidential documents
are payroll related, others are medical or disciplinary.  All types of
documents, regardless of location, are displayed in a filterable list where
the list source depends on the particular user's rights to the file system
and the filter they choose.

An alternative example is to union All in a combo that allows a user to
select between offices or province.  A selection in the combo pulls from the
table of offices by city or groups of offices by province.  One of the
columns contains a constant depending on the source table.  ie:

Select 0, 'All' from usystbl... Union select 1, CityName from tblOffice
(joined by CityID to the City table actually) Union select 2, from
tblProvince (all the offices joined thru city table via Province table).

The first column constant in a hidden column in the combo tells the after
update procedure which table provides the source of the selection to allow a
select case procedure to adjust to the source chosen.  This is useful to my
users since they work on an office by office basis but frequentlly need data
on a provincial basis.  It allows the particular level of management using
the system to see data in the way most pertinent to them.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta
jwelz at hotmail.com