[AccessD] FW: Basic Question

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Feb 22 11:08:50 CST 2007

Interesting question.  Since BeforeUpdate has a cancel parameter, I would
attempt to pass in myfunction(Cancel as integer) to the function being
called and see if the returned value in cancel does indeed cancel the
update.  I have never tried - see below...

I have to say I find using functions in event properties to be bad practice.
The reason is that unless you use a search program such as Rick Fisher's
"find and replace", it is almost impossible to tell where that function is
used.  IOW, you do a compile of the code it all compiles.  You look at the
function and do a search on the function name.  It isn't used anywhere (in
code).  You say to yourself "self, this isn't used so I can delete it".  You
delete it.  Your user discovers this six months later when he finally
happens to activate that specific object / event.

Light weight forms are great in theory, and great if there really isn't any
event handling that needs to be done.  If there is, then I say just use code
behind forms to handle the events.  IMHO, these kinds of "innovations" were
designed for the days of yore when we ran 100 MHz Pentiums in 64 m of ram
and needed all the help we could get, both in memory footprint and
application load / execution speed.  With a 2 GHz proc and a gig of ram, do
you really think your user will know you are using a light weight form?

To be quite honest, a class to handle the control, and a form class with a
control scanner to find and load the control classes sounds like the ticket.
Then the event works exactly as advertised, because it is sunk exactly as it
was intended.

Hmm... Sounds like the beginning of a framework to me.  ;-)

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting