[AccessD] MDB to SQL Server

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 22 11:17:31 CST 2007

William:  I ran such a design for a law office database and what killed
performance was the sheer number of records in something like a phone number
table.  If for example, we stored the home phone number in an employee
record, pulling the phone number from a 20 employee record table was
trivial.  However, culling the number from a table that includes those
numbers together with all the company, client and other records that
included fax, pager, cell, alternate address numbers etc, well now the table
has 20,000 records.  Yes the phone numbers were stored in a sub form, but
the usual use involved looking up an entity with the purpose of contacting
them.

I truly appreciated the functionality of the design.  If I entered a phone
number that existed, I immediately knew something about the relationship
implied between the current entitiy and the entity that shared the phone
number.  And changing the number where someone else had the same number
implied additional information, though in fact, the numbers were never
changed, but just deactivated and new numbers added.  Very important in
proving notice and communications in a law office environment.

Bottom line for me was that displaying a record took several times as long
as a flatter data design.  I am afraid that applying the structure in my
current environment will result in a significant performance hit and this is
the primary issue I've been asked to address.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta
jwelz at hotmail.com