[AccessD] FW: Basic Question

Rocky Smolin at Beach Access Software rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Thu Feb 22 11:43:03 CST 2007

I'll ask.

Rocky

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Elam, Debbie
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 9:23 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] FW: Basic Question

Will On Dirty work for what he wants?

Debbie

-----Original Message-----
From: Rocky Smolin at Beach Access Software [mailto:rockysmolin at bchacc.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:49 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: [AccessD] FW: Basic Question

>From a colleague.  Any ideas on this?

TIA

Rocky

  _____

From: Mike Dwyer [mailto:mike at aesadvantage.net]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:13 AM
To: bheygood at abestsystems.com; Dixon; Barry Hynum; Bob_Heygood; Doug Murphy;
Ed Lance; Jackie Murphy; JKA Joe K Anderson; Rocky Smolin
Subject: Basic Question

Ok, this is Access 101 but I must be having a mental moment.

If I use a function instead of an event procedure for BeforeUpdate, can that
function return a value that cancels the update?

I have a form with 120 fields on it (lots of tabs).  I don't want 120 event
procedures for each BeforeUpdate and I don't want 120 event procedures for
AfterUpdate.  I would like to select all 120 fields and set the BeforeUpdate
property to something like =BeforeUpdate().  This works great for
AfterUpdate, however, when I set it for the BeforeUpdate property, returning
a value from this function doesn't cancel the edit.

Is this possible?

- JENKENS & GILCHRIST E-MAIL NOTICE - This transmission may be: (1) subject
to the Attorney-Client Privilege, (2) an attorney work product, or (3)
strictly confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this
message, you may not disclose, print, copy or disseminate this information.
If you have received this in error, please reply and notify the sender
(only) and delete the message. Unauthorized interception of this e-mail is a
violation of federal criminal law.
This communication does not reflect an intention by the sender or the
sender's client or principal to conduct a transaction or make any agreement
by electronic means.  Nothing contained in this message or in any attachment
shall satisfy the requirements for a writing, and nothing contained herein
shall constitute a contract or electronic signature under the Electronic
Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act, any version of the Uniform
Electronic Transactions Act or any other statute governing electronic
transactions.