[AccessD] Database Design

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Wed Feb 28 14:15:30 CST 2007

...I'd use a separate street address table with yes/nos for mailing and
billing ...this ideally allows sharing of common addresses such as family or
business...as well as a separate table for geo data including postal code,
city, state, the geoID being an fk in the address table.

...more important than the address considerations, is the structure of your
entityIDs because you need to be able to track familial and business
relationships that often overlap ...I prefer using a super entity table with
sub-entities such as companies and individuals as child tables.

...the street address table then becomes a child of the super entity as well
...along with tables for phones, e-mail, etc

...this approach would give you a 3rd normal relational design and the
ability to do highly accurate mailings ...although it is easier to maintain,
it does require more join tables and more complex queries than the default
alternative of keeping addresses in the same table with the entity data.

William Hindman