[AccessD] OMG!!!!!!

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jan 17 19:55:40 CST 2007

Jim,

Mirrors are fine for small data needs but the cost is 50% anyway.  One drive
for data, one for the mirror. If you need a single large drive, 750 gig
drives are as big as you can get, and they cost ~$350 or so right now, so
that is $700 for 700 (real) MB and that is as big as it gets.  Plus, if you
use the controller built in to the motherboard they are not particularly
fast.  That is a great solution though if that falls within your needs.  For
reliably protecting music or software or document archives it is "good
enough".

OTOH, I have a single partition that is > 1 tbyte, and I am trying to backup
a half dozen BIG SQL Server data files, so a simple "copy everything" just
won't work very well.  I'm still thinking about how to do this.  It probably
will be a low power "box" at the other end of a LAN cable.  I may go with a
"hardware assisted" cheap raid card to get the speed up, and perhaps a raid
5 to get some level of redundancy in case of a disk failure.  If I can get
compression in the backup then a tbyte backup array will handle the backup.

Another very real issue with backing up large files like this is simply the
time required to do the copy.  I have 1 gBit LAN between all of my boxes,
but it still requires 15-20 minutes just to copy a 30g file.  OTOH, the
options are limited.  Economical tape backup simply doesn't exist for this
size disk, and DVDs are not an option either.  Disk backup is about the only
option for someone in my shoes.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting