[AccessD] Array as source for query

Ken Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 15:46:11 CST 2007

John,
> I too make heavy use of Just In Time subforms, on tabs, connecting and
> disconnecting the subforms as the user clicks on and then off of tabs.  That
> definitely helps but doesn't solve the problem.  If I can build into my
> framework a method of caching the data for combos and then using a callback
> that would definitely help.  Combos are about 90% of the problem and this is
> an issue that really can cause problems as your forms get complex.

Susan Harkins and I wrote an article in Access Advisor, "Get Better
Performance from Microsoft Access List Control-Based Forms", which talks
about using ADO disconnected recordsets as a rowsource for Combos and
List boxes. Works for Access 2000 and later.

You could cache the recordsets when they are first needed, and play them
back to any combo on any tab that needed it.

As far as callbacks, true callbacks are probably a bridge too far using
just VBA, but you should be able to satisfactorily simulate one using
interfaces and the appropriate wrapper classes for the combos.

-Ken