[AccessD] Access 2007: Lookup Field Shows Correct Value Selected, But Not Displayed

Gale Perez galeper at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 21:22:22 CDT 2007

Hello,

I'm normalizing a db to replace certain fields with lookup fields.  I used
the lookup wizard and am storing an autonumber from the lookup table.  All
updated just fine, except for one.  The old field is a text field consisting
of the numbers 0-7.  I created a query to update the new field (in the
example, 8 is the autonumber PK in the lookup table):

UPDATE mytable SET mytable.newfield = 8
WHERE (((mytable.[oldfield])="7"));

But when I opened the table to verify the new field's data matched that in
the old field, I saw that the new field showed nothing but zeros.  When I
clicked in that field of a particular record, my dropdown box appeared, with
the correct value selected - but it is not being displayed!   What the heck
is going on?  Has anyone else had this happen?

I tried re-creating both the query and the field, and got the same results.

Thank you very much for any thoughts!
Gale