[AccessD] Performance tips anyone?

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Jul 5 10:47:41 CDT 2007

Brave?  I have a database with ~80, and it's predecessor used to handle
~125 users.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Anita Smith
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 11:57 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Performance tips anyone?

John,
My comments in line:

 Errrrr!  Wrong answer.

I have a database with 25 users in the database every day.  The BE is
currently about 800 mbytes.  This BE has tables with hundreds of
thousands
of records in some tables, 30K-50K records in the main tables (claimant
/
claim).  I open a VERY complex tabbed form with about 20 tabs on it,
with
subforms on each tab (JIT subforms).
***************************************
You are very brave
***************************************
I open a VERY complex tabbed form with about 20 tabs on it, with
subforms on each tab (JIT subforms).

Users on fast machines open the form in about 1.2 seconds.  Users on
very
old slow machines take about 5 to 6 seconds.
A form will open fast if designed well.

Speed of the individual workstation is the single largest determinate of
acceptable speed.  A high speed processor and LOTS of memory (1 gig for
Windows XP Pro) are essential.  Moving to a 1 gbit lan made a big
difference
as well (which requires a gigabit NIC in the machines as well).