[AccessD] Syntax for referencing subform in a subform

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Jul 6 15:23:39 CDT 2007

There is a subform control in the parent subform.  Thus

Me!ctlSubform.form!ctlSubSubForm.Form

The ! Refers to a control, the . Refers to a property (the form property of
the subform control).

And I have done it, in fact the disability insurance call center software
has a subform on a tab of the main form.  Inside of that subform is another
tab control EACH of which has a subform.  Every subform is loaded JIT and
unloaded as the user clicks off the tab the subform is on.  Thus the subform
on the tab on the parent form doesn't load unless the user clicks on that
tab.  If they click on that tab, a subform loads with a tab control on it.
On the default tab is a subform that loads immediately.  But if the user
clicks off onto any of the other tabs in the subform, then the subform on
the tab losing the focus (clicked off of) unloads.

The main form is a claim.  The claim form has about 18 tabs that may or may
not be visible, depending on the insurance product line.  On one of those
tabs is all the stuff having to do with benefits for specific months.  My
client only issues checks for particular insurance products that they
service (their clients), so if a claim is selected which does not get paid
directly by my client, then the benefit tab is hidden.

The Benefit tab has one big subform which has a tab control.  That subform's
tab control has a tab (and subform) for benefit history (months already
paid).  The next tab has a subform for entering new benefit records (current
and future months).  The next tab has a subform for displaying checks paid.
The text tab has a subform for entering offsets against the claim specific
to that claim (Social Security deductions, tax deductions, child support and
such things).  There are a handful of other subforms on tabs as well (about
7 or 8 tabs total).  ALL of this stuff is specific to particular lines of
insurance for which my client actually issues the checks to the claimant.
Since all products are not paid by my client (the insurer issues the checks
directly) the entire benefit tab is hidden / unhidden as needed for the
product that a claim is paid against.

In fact this form has 4 levels of subforms

Claim
	Claimant
	Policy
	etc.
	Benefits tab subform
		Benefit History
			Offsets against the benefit
		Benefits New and future
			Offsets against the Benefit
		Payments (checks paid)
		Possible offsets against the claim
		etc
		etc

BTW, this is the form discussed in a previous thread that takes 1.25 seconds
to load on fast hardware, and 5-6 seconds to load on 4-5 year old hardware.
Using a tab metaphor with JIT subforms allows the user to have the entire
claim and all the relevant pieces at their fingertips but keep the load
speed reasonable.

Believe it or not, this whole thing fits on an 800 x 600 screen, though I
keep banging on them to move everyone up to at LEAST 17" monitors so I can
move to a 1024 x 768 screen and open things up a bit.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting