[AccessD] Performance tips anyone?

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 9 22:02:03 CDT 2007

Drew:  I'm familiar with the 'use at your own risk' 'AddressOf' function
since the days of Access97 at 'The Access Web' of Dev Ashish, but this is
not the sense in which most Access programmers ordinarily are familiar with
callback functions.  Of couse the whole callback thing has little bearing on
the initial question about performance tips or on the question of bound or
unbound.  I still haven't seen an explanation of how unbound is inherently
faster than bound.  I've heard discussion about being able to do certain
kinds of things unbound that can't be done bound and have given a couple
examples myslef.  I still don't see how it provides additional performance
so don't understand in what sense proposing it is an answer to the question.
  There is also little sense in making the assumption that everyone is a
good developer and is aware of the issues that may come with losing record
locking.  It is irresponsible to say that jet looks after record locking, no
difference, bound or unbound.  You can't advocate something that will
undoubtedly hurt people if you don't mention the caveats.

What constitutes 'good developing' depends on a number of factors.  In terms
of performance, a degree of denormalization may be good thing as it can cut
down the number of joins to be processed.  In the database from which I drew
the contract value/address example, we never had identical addresses for
multiple projects.  Sure we have addresses for various kinds of entities and
they could be stored in a single table, but placing all the addresses in a
separate table would have resulted in a table with a much larger number of
records that would have to be hit to populate a record fore each kind of
entity.  Querying for any kind of related record by address, that would be
possible by normalizing, was of no advantage in this database.  Worse yet,
the physical address of a project never changes, but if you join that
address to a company and some bright bulb changes the address of the company
when it moves rather than adding a new address and 'deactivating' or date
ranging the validity of the address, the edit to the address changes the
AddressOf (pun intended) the project.  In the example I gave, both the
contract value and the addresses were appropriate characteristics of the
project.

I've also gotten performance gains out of mapping data to bit flags; another
normalization no no.

Callback functions are very useful to me in cases where I do use foreign
keys as I frequently fill a combo or list from an array and avoid a hit on
the database.

In addition to what Colby calls JIT sub forms, together with limiting the
data to only needed data, you can do the same thing with combos, displaying
a text value in a delimited list and converting to an SQL rowsource on
GotFocus provided you store the text value in the table together with the
FK.

One of the slower built in functions in Access is the CurrentDb function and
it can crawl when called in a loop.  I use a function that keeps a static
variable that points to a database object and returns a reference to that
object.  The database for which this question was asked is large in terms of
numbers of objects.  CurrentDb forces a refresh of all the database objects
so I use an optional parameter that allows me to specify should I need to
refresh the collection.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta