[AccessD] Primary Key Best Practices

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Thu Jul 26 02:43:43 CDT 2007

They are not easy to work with. Depending on how you access them (CDO, VBA,
MAPI) you get a different result.

It seems easier to query by every field in the record than by the EntryID.

Querying based on PKs is easy. Querying based on EntryIDs is a PITA.

If I fill a combo box with EntryID and Fullname, then select a record based
on that combo box I'd think it would be easiest to draw any other data
fields info from Outlook using the EntryID as the criteria for queries. I'm
not seeing it. To use the GetItemFromID method to retrieve data you first
have to find the StoreID which is the ID of the folder containing the
Contact (or whatever). So you find the item you want and work backward to
find the container ID and then go forward again to find the data for the
item. I'm at the point where I'm thinking I must have missed something
critical. The methods I'm using to do this is no way to work with data.

But - I was warned about it here so...