[AccessD] Primary Key Best Practices

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Jul 26 12:38:08 CDT 2007

You have a point. However, SQL Server is no longer a dba or IT
Department system.  You can get SQL Server Express for free, so anyone
with a computer with a few gigs of extra drive space can run their own
SQL Server databases.

As far as this thread goes, I haven't been participating much, but I
have been skimming the posts.  Ego issues aside, it is a wonderful
exchange of theory and practice in regards to databases in general...I
think it should go until it runs it's course.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Heenan,
Lambert
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:30 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Primary Key Best Practices

I do whish this thread would come to an end. It seem to be just fodder
for
the personality contestants.

"How can you defend your position by stating on a DATABASE development
list
that your arguments are from a user prospective?" - because this is an
ACCESS database development list, and as far as SQL server goes, we are
users (unless like John you have a server farm in the back room and are
running the whole show single handed).

Ok. So Charlotte initially said "you cannot do X", and then John pounced
and
said "yes you can".

Big deal. Charlotte did not explicitly specify "In Access", and John in
his
rebuttal kinda sorta forgot to explicitly mention he was working inside
SQL
server. Big deal again.

I repeat, this is an Access developer list. We should be talking about
what
you can and can't do in Access (which is what Charlotte did). Ok.
Compare
and contrast with other RDBMS, but do we really need dozens of "she said
/
he said" messages on a somewhat tired topic?

Please deep six it.

Lambert

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI BusinessSensitve material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.