[AccessD] Get all controls on all forms

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Jul 30 09:29:55 CDT 2007

I do but I don't have time to go find it.  Basically forms which are not
open are stored in a documents("forms") collection in the database.  You
have to get the NAME of each document (which will be the name of each form
in the db), then use docmd.openform(ThatFormName) and set a parameter of
that DoCmd to open it in design view.  Once you have done that, then the
form is open in the forms() collection so you can get a pointer to the form.
With the form open you can get at the controls collection.  I forget what
object the documents is a part of.  It could be the currentdb object, it
could be the application object.

Dim doc as document
Dim frm as form
Dim ctl as control
For each doc in documents("forms")
	docmd.open acform, (doc.name),acDesignView
	set frm = forms(doc.name)
	for each ctl in frm.controls()
	next ctl
	Docmd.close acform, doc.name
Next doc

IOW, a form has to be OPEN (either in view mode or design view) to access
the controls collection.  You want to open it in design view.  Once it is
opened, get a pointer to it and then access the controls collection

The code above is NOT working, but it is close (from memory)

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting