[AccessD] A2003: Borland BDE and Access

Darren D darrend at nimble.com.au
Tue Jun 5 22:13:02 CDT 2007

Hi all

We have 7 Delphi apps here that use Borland’s Database Engine (BDE) for their
connection management

I have an Access app that manages the various config files for these Delphi apps
(BDE Config files) and the clients that use them

EG I may decide to start APP no 1 and I will need it to reference client No 5

But the problem I have is determining if the config file is being referenced by
a Delphi App already

EG it may already be in use with App no 3 referencing client details for client
2

Thus I can’t copy or rename the relevant config file ‘over the top’

I thought I would just be able to copy one config file over the other – get an
error that the file is in use - then trap it and alert my users that the file is
already in use

But this doesn’t seem to work – I think the BDE loads a config file but only
uses it or references it for reads and writes

IE it doesn’t ‘hold’ the file open so this route is not working

Does anyone have experience with Borland’s BDE and how I can tell in VBA if it
is being ‘used’ or reference by an open app?

Perhaps even some code to see if any of the 7 Delphi apps is ‘loaded’ might even
do the trick

Many thanks

Darren

Checked by AVG Free Edition.