[AccessD] This on SharePoint

Martin Reid mwp.reid at qub.ac.uk
Tue Jun 5 14:33:04 CDT 2007

Well again John we have the advantage. We get all the software real cheap as a University. MOSS is approx just over $1000 per server. Hardware funny we got 4 servers recently for $8000 each. I assume the other servers we are running where about the same. Then you have the Windows 2003 server licence, SharePoint dev tools, VS 2005 and the training costs. I was on a 5 day course last week on admin of MOSS at $1000 a day.

At the moment we have

SQL Server 2005 physical machine. Windows Server 2003 OS
2 Web application Servers
1 Index Server

We have 4 additional servers to go in. I would say an SQL Server mirror, tow more web front ends and maybe another index server but we are meeting MS to discuss this sort of thing.

We have one dev box and likely get another. We also have several VMs for playing about with. Again our licence costs are low.

We have arranged about $160,000 in consultancy fees for assistance in the move to MS technology and have direct access to MS techies as well.

Just logged into the box to get a spec for you. here it is

Windows Server 2003 R2
XEON GHZ Processor
3GB of RAM

This is the admin box which doubles as one of the web front end machines. The other web front end box would be the same I would guess. The SQL boxes would also be around this spec. Its likely the two front end boxes will be changed out later as we already had these in place and not really speced for SP. But we have nothing but SP and SQL Server in these systems. Oh plus usual dev stuff.

At the moment the HDD is fairly small as it will all be put into our SAN.

My team is me business design and MOSS server admin and general functionality
1 real good developer
1 really good dev and design guy for the web front ends to the sites.

We have access to a team of server admins and database experts for internal systems.

So yeah its a big overhead for us to even attempt this. You should visit show you it all in place. (<: Bring the kids, stay here.

Martin

Martin WP Reid
Training and Assessment Unit
Riddle Hall