[AccessD] An interseting story

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 5 22:32:08 CDT 2007

Hi Steve:

This is an interesting read and comments are quite pointed. It does point
out the details that were not presented in the Registry article and gives a
fuller picture. If he is in fact is selling his hack that puts a different
spin on it.

A friend, from England commented that if cornered Jamie may just decide to
open-source it and now try to get the 'Genie back in the bottle'.

Something like the Norwegian fellow who first hacked the DVD security, tried
to sell it, got shut-down and then open-sourced his product and subsequently
went on to hack the iTunes security. Maybe if he had been bought off with a
full-time job, Jon Lech Johansen would have never have gained cult hero
status: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Lech_Johansen

Unfortunately, it will take a long time to dispel the damage done. The only
way Microsoft is going to have a fair platform is to approach such sites as
SlapShot and Registry and ask for equal time.

Jim