[AccessD] Subform data disappears on addition

ewaldt at gdls.com ewaldt at gdls.com
Tue Mar 20 07:53:01 CDT 2007

I have a form (frmAssemblies) with a subform (sfrmPartAssy). The main form
displays the main assembly table data (for one assembly), while the
subform displays data from a query that combines the data from a parts
(tblParts) table and the junction table (tblPartAssy) between the two,
showing the applicable parts in the assembly shown in the main form.

I have a button on the main form that adds parts to the assembly; below is
the code.

--------------------
Private Sub cmdAdd_Click()
Dim strSQL
strSQL = "INSERT INTO tblPartAssy SELECT " & _
    "[Forms]![frmAssemblies]![cboAssy] AS Assy, " & _
    "[Forms]![frmAssemblies]![cboRev] AS Rev, " & _
    "[Forms]![frmAddPartAssy]![cboPartNum] AS PartNum, " & _
    "[Forms]![frmAddPartAssy]![txtQuantity] AS Qty, " & _
    "[Forms]![frmAddPartAssy]![txtFindNum]AS FindNum;"

DoCmd.SetWarnings False
DoCmd.RunSQL (strSQL)
DoCmd.SetWarnings True

[Forms]![frmassemblies].Requery
[Forms]![frmassemblies].[sfrmPartAssy].Requery
[Forms]![frmassemblies].Refresh

End Sub
---------------------

Anyway, the problem is that when I add a part to the assembly, all of the
data in the subform disappears; if I then go to another assembly, and then
return to the original one, the data reappears, along with the added part.
This happens for all assemblies EXCEPT the first one in the tblASSSEMBLIES
table.  I'm fuzzy on the requery/refresh thing, so I tend to overuse them,
just to be safe. Perhaps I'm causing a problem with that?

Since the data IS entered, the process does work, but having the subform's
data disappear is a major irritation. Any suggestions on this would be
appreciated.

Thomas F. Ewald
Stryker Mass Properties
General Dynamics Land Systems

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.