[AccessD] OT: But only Partly

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Mar 21 09:51:29 CDT 2007

>In those days, disks on mainframes were removable from the drives
themselves which were about the size of a washing machine. The disk packs
were about the diameter of a LP record and the ones we used were about 8
inches tall.

Must have been one of the old IBM hard disk cabinets.  It had drawers that
you could pull out and then unlock and remove the disk packs.  Those were 80
mb packs if memory serves me.  Something like 8 platters, heads on each
side, hydraulically actuated heads.

In 1972/73 I was trained by the USN to fix that disk drive system.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting