[AccessD] OT: But only Partly

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Thu Mar 22 09:19:55 CDT 2007

Yes, with small businesses this is a challenge. Not having an IT
person/staff usually leads to the "secretary" doing the duties of backup
media management. Now a good, trustworthy, reliable secretary is one of the
best assets a small business can have - but IMO is somewhat uncommon.

I find the even the standard tape rotation is a challenge. Many non-IT
people don't seem to readily grasp the notion that restoring a file that was
found corrupted today doesn't mean it wasn't corrupted yesterday and we
might need to recover it from the more distant past..

On a related OT note:

Just yesterday I received an email from a small office client who is doing
the standard daily, weekly, monthly, annual tape rotation/retention scheme.
The backup starts after business hours and runs through the night. She asked
me for clarification on what date she should be listing the back up as - the
day she put the tape in or the day she takes it out? Uhmmm... how is that
not clear?