[AccessD] Bulk copy spec - was RE: using a saved SSIS with VB.Net

Eric Barro ebarro at verizon.net
Tue May 1 09:06:36 CDT 2007

John,

This is the SQL query I use to get the field names...

DECLARE @TableName	varchar(50)

SET @TableName = 'tmpemployees'

SELECT syscolumns.name AS DBFieldNames,
syscolumns.type AS DataType,
(syscolumns.length/2) AS DataLength
FROM sysobjects
INNER JOIN syscolumns
	ON sysobjects.id = syscolumns.id
WHERE sysobjects.name = @TableName
ORDER BY colorder

Here's what I came across when I googled it...

8.0
5
1 SQLCHAR 0 0 ";\"" 1 col1 ""
2 SQLCHAR 0 0 "\";" 2 col2 ""
3 SQLCHAR 0 0 ";" 3 col3 ""
4 SQLCHAR 0 0 ";" 4 col3 ""
5 SQLCHAR 0 0 "\r\n" 5 col3 ""

The first row is the version of the file format. Next is the number of
fields in the file. Following lines describe one field each.

First column is record number. Second column is data type of the field
in the file. For a text file this is always SQLCHAR or always SQLNCHAR
for a Unicode file. Other data types are only used with binary formats.

The third column is prefix-length, used only for binary files. Fourth
column is the length, and is used for fixed-length fields. Fifth field
is the terminator, and it is here you specify the quotes.

Six column is the database column, with 1 denoting the first column. 0
means that this field is not to be imported. Seventh column is the
column name, but it's informational. BCP/BULK INSERT does not use it.
Last colunm is the collation for the data in the file.

Overall, keep in mind that BCP/BULK INSERT reads a binary file and a
row terminator is really only the terminator for the last field.

Eric