[AccessD] OT - VISTA only and XP Phase out?

Ken Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Thu May 3 13:53:40 CDT 2007

[Arthur Fuller]
> ... To date my biggest beef [with Linux] has been the absence of
> something as easy to use as Access ...

Arthur,

I keep tabs on the Dabo project, http://dabodev.com/ , which is
progressing nicely. Dabo is Python-based. For VB veterans, Python is one
of the easiest languages to pick up.

Dabo is a desktop GUI database app builder based on Python. It runs on
PC, Mac and Linux. It natively interfaces with MySQL, PostgreSQL,
FireBird, and SQLite. Work is progressing on a MS SQL Server interface.
It has 'wizards' for constructing typical data-driven forms, and an IDE
that approaches what Access offers.

They have some great screencasts at http://dabodev.com/documentation.
Dabo is developed by some FoxPro refugees, and it seems to be very
clearly thought out and carefully programmed.

-Ken