[AccessD] FMS Inc. Sourcebook

Thu May 3 15:16:05 CDT 2007

" I have to guess that you are picking semantic nits here?  I am discussing
(or trying to anyway) a concept which is specifically "fix once, fix
everywhere".  The fact that you can violate that using some loophole or
another is beside MY point.  My point is very simply that "cut and paste"
from a code repository is asking for nightmarish maintenance issues.  A
"library" or whatever you wish to call it, is an effective method of solving
that nightmarish maintenance issue."

I think I might have missed somebody's point earlier on myself :-)

I am not advocating cutting and pasting favorite routines from some rag-tag
collection of code text either. I'm with you there. You want to have a fully
functional mde/mda/mdb/dll/ocx (whatever) that has all the routines you wish
to share amongst applications. The specifics of what may or may not need to
be recompiled is just a technology dependency. Sometime you need to
recompile, sometimes not.

As for other Office references. Yes you can set a reference to a "library"
.XLS file - from any other .XLS file. And yes you can also create a .DOC (or
.DOT) Word file with a bunch of code and set a reference to that = from
within another Word document.

What you cannot do is set a reference to an Excel 'Library' from with an
Word doc, or visa versa.

Lambert