[AccessD] SQL Server - Turning comparisons into Booleans

Tue May 8 12:22:41 CDT 2007

Message got bounced the first time. Let's try again.

<guess mode>

Well [SomeField] <=10 is a Boolean expression, and Access does the
conversion for you automatically. So I suspect the SQL server is not so
cooperative and that you will need to explicitly cast the expression to a
Boolean value. What's SQL server's equivalent of Cbool() ?

</guess mode>
Lambert

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of JWColby
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 11:21 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving';
dba-sqlserver at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: [AccessD] SQL Server - Turning comparisons into Booleans

In Access you can do something like:

MyAlias: [SomeField] <=10

Which translates into SQL that looks like:

[SomeField]<=10 as MyAlias

When I try move that (cut and paste) from Access into SQL Server I get a the
infamous "syntax error somewhere near <"

Question 1:  What is wrong with that in SQL Server
Question 2: How do I accomplish this directly in the query builder in SQL
Server?

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting