[AccessD] Interesting for you kung fu masters?

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Fri May 11 10:54:07 CDT 2007

Jim/John (and all)
if you like that, you should really be checking out red-gate's sql compare.
It not only does the compare that you are seeing here, but you can do it
across servers,  In this way you can compare your source database in your
dev server against the production server database.  It has come in really
handy in our environment since I do not allow my developers to create any
code on the live servers.  If I catch them, they get to deal with me giving
them a big lecture, second offense my boss wants me to bring them into his
office, but that has not occurred yet.  The price is not terrible either, we
negotiated with their sql backup and sql compare products and were able to
get 2 years of maintenance support for free.  So I know this sounds like a
commercial, but we also like to discuss products we use to help make our
lives easier on this list right?... but one of the features I completly dig
about this product (sql compare) is that when my developer completes their
code, we can go through the code review... then if all is approved, we push
it using this tool to the live server.  This product allows you to select
everything you need from your dev server against your production server,
thus if you changed tables, data types, procedures, views etc... you can
select them all for synchronization.

You can also choose to just review the script that the program will generate
to make the necessary changes and then just run it yourself via query
analyzer.

the sp_compare is what I used to use before, but then that will waste space
if your looking at really large db's.. We also purchased sql-data compare
which allows you to look at two tables and synchronize the data... so with
our data warehouse when we are running changes, I will bring over a subset
of data, and make the necessary changes, then publish the schema back to
production without affecting production or causing unnecessary errors.

http://red-gate.com/products/SQL_Compare/index.htm

You can try the product for 14 days, and extend it for another 10 days
(iirc) by typing in "i need more time" in the serial box... I think you can
extend the products twice before they deactivate.  In addition if you need
extra time to evaluate the product you can contact them and they will give
you a serial for a slightly longer time-period.

Just so you know they don't get a full glowing report from me :).  On
occasion when I have required support, they have not been the fastest.  I've
used products from quest software and idera, and both those companies were
faster at getting back to me (same day) than red-gate.  Though to be fair, I
have not had any issues with red-gate products that required such immediate
attention such as idera or quest.

I hope this info helps you guys.
--
Francisco

On 5/8/07, Jim Lawrence <accessd at shaw.ca> wrote:

> This is similar to the Backend-Upgrader at the DBA site
> (http://www.databaseadvisors.com/downloads.asp) but works for MS SQL
> server
> instead of MS Access.
>
> Jim