[AccessD] DAO vs ADO

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Tue May 15 10:26:16 CDT 2007

1) they can be mixed but both references have to be set ...when identical
functions are included in both object models Access will use the library
first referenced unless you specify otherwise ...I specify by default just
to be certain. As for differences, look at the object models ...DAO was
designed around Jet and ADO around SQL db be's ...when using mdb/Jet be's
DAO is usually much faster and has a better object model ...the reverse is
true for ADO ...MS led everyone to believe for years that DAO was dead and
ADO was the future but then reversed itself with Access 12.

2) ...see above

3) ...no, you can use DAO but it isn't as efficient ...what you can't do
with DAO is use an ADP to connect to a SQL be ...but you can certainly
connect ...I'd venture to guess there are still more Access fe's using DAO
to connect to SQL be's just because for years that was the only way to do
it.

...hth

William Hindman