[AccessD] Word documents and MS Access

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Mon May 21 14:03:57 CDT 2007

Hello Jim,

VB6/VBA uses Unicode for String variables internally.
If you will use MS Word Automation then you also use Unicode when getting
text from MS Word tables. MS Access (since version 2000) also uses Unicode
for text fields.
Therefore I think that "2. Reading data out of Word documents into an Access
database" doesn't need any specific handling including reading Cyrilic
chars, which will be in Unicode.
I have just tested this sample I mentioned before -
http://smsconsulting.spb.ru/shamil_s/topics/dfromw95.htm - it works OK with
Cyrillic chars getting properly into MS Access 2003 tables.

As for "Double-byte Character Sets; using them with Word documents and
Access databases." - what do you mean by DBCS - is that a synonym of Unicode
or MBCS?

Have a look - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBCS :
"Some people use DBCS to mean Unicode, specifically UTF-16, while other
people use the term DBCS to mean older (pre-Unicode) code pages that use
more than one byte per character. Shift-JIS, GB2312 and Big5 are a few code
pages that can contain more than one byte per character, but even using the
term DBCS for these code pages is incorrect terminology because these code
pages are really MBCS (MultiByte Character Sets). Some IBM mainframes do
have true DBCS code pages, which contain only the double byte portion of a
multibyte code page."

--
Shamil