[AccessD] Formula for a calculated field

Susan Harkins ssharkins at setel.com
Sat May 26 11:17:39 CDT 2007

I agree with you but the customer is always right, and to a certain extent I
will give her the benefit of the doubt. She wants to be able to filter the
form and various reports by these calculated columns, so she wants to see
them there in the table. Besides, we're probably going to upsize the app to
SQL Express fairly soon, where I can have the best of both worlds, i.e.
genuine calculated columns that consume no disk space but are logically
"there".

======You can't base the form on a query with the calculated results?
Arthur, give her what she wants -- show her an example where the calculated
results is no longer valid because you update a value in one of the anchor
fields, and then she gets the wrong result. Show her why want she wants is
dangerous. Then show her how you can give her what she really wants -- the
ability to filter records -- without the same danger.

You need to gently explain to her that when her results are wrong, she's
going to blame you.

Susan H.