[AccessD] Word/Access question

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Wed May 30 04:54:39 CDT 2007

On 5/29/07, Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com> wrote:
> Preface: there are no stupid questions, only stupid people. Sadly, I fall
> into this category.

Which category? Stupid questions? :)

> 1. a local FE installed on every remote, all of which point to the BE
> available by satellite, if and when the technology is working. Apparently
> this is intermittent. I know nothing about this part of the app.

What if the sat link drops while the user is in the DB? Isn't that a
really good way to corrupt the BE?

> 2. In the event that the satellite connection is unavailable, it has been
> mandated that the remote user should be able to fill in a Word form and
> email that. (Precisely how I am to handle said emails and integrate them
> into the system has been conveniently overlooked, but like George Smiley, I
> plod on.)

Have a look at http://www.databaseadvisors.com/newsletters/newsletter112003/0311RemoteDataCollection.asp

That should give you most of what you need to get going in this
regard. If not, just ask. I've been doing Remote data collection with
Word for about 8 years.

> 3. In the absence of a reliable connection to HQ, then I don't see how this
> can work without a local copy of the DB. I am certainly not against that,
> but it drags in the replication technology -- which I have used and love,
> but it costs hours to set up and every time I mention hours Client says
> "Cheaper", and when I mention "Cheap" Client says "Not enough
> functionality", or something like that.

Good. Cheap. Fast. Give 'em the options and let 'em pick 2.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"