[AccessD] Populate field with userid Environ A97 vs A2k+

Tue Nov 20 12:29:46 CST 2007

Is there a workaround? No. You have to use an API call to get the user ID.
So quit defaulting these fields in your tables and add a tiny bit of code to
the BeforeInsert (for new records) and BeforeUpdate (for edits) events on
your forms.

There's only a very limited list of functions you can use in the default
value property of field in table design view. It was even documented once,
but I'm damned if I can locate it in the Access XP help file. Oh well.

BTW it also makes sense to not allow Environ(). Environ is a risky
proposition because it is quite easy for a user to change an environment
variable, (like "USERNAME") and so potentially bypass 'security'.

Lambert

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of O'Connor,
Patricia (OTDA)
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 12:34 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: [AccessD] Populate field with userid Environ A97 vs A2k+

I am upgrading an Access97 to Access2k to Access2k3.  I know about having to
create a function to use it in A2k and A2k3 (GRRR)

I have been using =Environ("UserName") to populate a field (LastUpdtBy) in a
new record in my A97-tables for years.

I created the function that was recommended and it works in my vb/vba code
portions. It is not working in the table field default.  Gives me the
runtime error # 3388 "unknown function 'Environ'.

Is there a workaround?  If there is one in the archives, please send a
complete link. I have tried finding something suggested in mails but can't
find them easily.

I still think this ban was ridiculous or at least they should have created a
valid totally useable workaround

Thanks -  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving ALL
Patti
* Patricia O'Connor
* Associate Computer Programmer Analyst
* OTDA - BDMA
* (W) mailto:Patricia.O'Connor at otda.state.ny.us
* (w) mailto:aa1160 at nysemail.state.ny.us
This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or
otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you
received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send
it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its
attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and
delete the e-mail from your system.