[AccessD] New Comodo Firewall

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Nov 24 09:18:40 CST 2007

Rocky,

I don't pretend to be a security expert.  Therefore all I can do is talk
about what I like and why.  The Comodo firewall is good and getting better.
It is free.  It has now added in a new layer which watches for the nasties
trying to load and also the nasties trying to hook in to or manipulate
already loaded applications.  This is a very common practice, even with the
non-nasties.  Outlook hooks into Firefox or IE to display web pages.  So if
an "application" tries to use another application, is it normal or a nasty?
If something tries to load, is it a normal known app or a nasty?

There are already firewalls out there, there are already app monitors.  Some
are good, some are not so good, some are useless.  Unfortunately given the
very real importance of such things, I am not finding a good site dedicated
to testing firewalls and keeping those tests up to date.  I find tests for
Comodo's firewall but they are from Sept 2006.  That is well over a year ago
and are the results valid today?  As we know from the Microsoft debacle, bug
fixes can break things so any firewall developer can fix a bug and break
something else.  We really need some place that tests each firewall /
version at LEAST every few months.  Well if there is one I can't find it.

Anyway, Comodo is a company that I trust and I like their philosophy.  They
are in the business of selling security certificates, and they profess to
believe that trust is the most critical aspect of their job.  They already
have a background in the internet, and specifically in the security side of
the internet and they are trying to leverage that knowledge into good
products for the little guy to protect himself with.  They are openly
staking their reputation on these products, and the effect on their
reputation is their payback for the work they do on these products.  I just
like that.

They are doing a good job of staying on top of the various security issues
(AFAICT) and they have added a new "layer" of security directly into the
firewall application which does this monitoring of other applications.  It
has gotten to the point where I think this is a requirement (application
monitoring), and it just seems like a good idea to have one dev team
handling the whole thing rather than using the firewall from over here and
the monitor from over there.  Given that the nasties almost always try to
use the internet for some nefarious purpose, it makes sense to me for the
app monitor to be able to talk directly to the firewall should it need to.

Again, just my opinion, and making the assumption that they do a good job on
both sides of the security house of course.

Both of these things, firewalls and application monitoring, are complicated
issues which I don't understand well enough to do my own testing.  I keep
looking for some third party which is keeping up with such testing but I am
not finding such a place.  In the meantime, all I can say is, I like Comodo
and I like their firewall.  I have been using it for well over a year now,
on all of my machines and I still recommend it highly.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting