[AccessD] New Comodo Firewall

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Nov 24 11:10:51 CST 2007

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2218894,00.asp?kc=EWKNLBOE112407STR1

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2007 12:05 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] New Comodo Firewall

Arthur,

A hardware firewall is about controlling the access to the NETWORK (not any
specific computer) almost exclusively INCOMING only.  It is definitely the
first and most powerful line of defense for what it does.  What it does not
do is control any specific computer attempting to phone home.  If you ever
catch a nasty, almost all of them attempt to pass information back out to
criminals.  These things are a major threat nowadays.

In the beginning were the script kiddies and they were idiots.  Now there
are crime syndicates with more resources than IBM (literally), all of it
focused on breaking in to our computers.  They run out of mainland china,
Russia and other essentially lawless or uncaring host countries where we
can't get at them and prosecute them.  And they are powerful.  They have
made so much money that they can and do afford the best programmers in the
world, paying big bucks to little people who don't stand a chance of making
that kind of money legitimately, and all focused on figuring out how to get
past your router.  If they get in , they plant totally silent applications
that just look for passwords and stuff.

So... the software firewall (and application monitors) are designed to watch
for applications trying to do things they shouldn't and applications trying
to send stuff OUT of your computer.

You will never know if you need one until your bank account or credit card
is empty.  If you do not ever use your computer to buy stuff over the
internet or do web banking, then you do not really have much to worry about.
Your computer may end up a 'bot in someone's bot network but what do you
care?  OTOH if you ever use your credit card over the net then just keep a
close eye on things and hope for the best.

Oh yea, and then there is the identity theft issue.

That's the short answer.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting