[AccessD] OT: Friday (weekend) fun: Erlang

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Nov 30 07:00:56 CST 2007

OK, let's get real.  Assuming that Moore's law continues for that period, we
would double the number of transistors every 2 years which means 12 years /
2 = 6 doublings.  We currently have 4 processors so that means 2^8
processors = 256 processors.

The problem as I see it is that memory module size is stalled.  I have to
hope that the problem lies in the fact that 32 bit windows did not allow
more than 4 g byte so there was no active need to go further.  With the 64
bit OS' finally making it into the picture, perhaps the memory module makers
will put the problem back on the front burner.

On a more interesting note, Solid State Disks are finally here and readily
available:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=636&Tpk=solid+state
+disk

Yes, they are still expensive but even these prices are low compared to what
was available and these prices are dropping rapidly as manufacturing picks
up steam.  Dell is now actually shipping laptops with a 64 gb solid state
disk.

We live in exciting times.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting