[AccessD] OT: Friday (weekend) fun: Erlang

max.wanadoo at gmail.com max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 08:28:20 CST 2007

Oh year, what a good idea. WOPR all over again...Play "Global Thermonuclear
War"

Wikepeida says:-

WOPR is a form of artificial intelligence, programmed to play numerous
strategy and war games, including one called Global Thermonuclear War, the
purpose being to enable itself to optimally respond to any possible enemy
nuclear attack.

WarGames
In WarGames, David Lightman (Matthew Broderick), a teenage computer hacker
unwittingly makes contact with WOPR by dialing random phone numbers (known
as Wardialing). Believing he has discovered a backdoor to the mainframe at a
computer game development company, he hacks into WOPR, finds a list of games
and gives the command to play the Global Thermonuclear War scenario. In the
process, WOPR begins running the simulation on the main screen at NORAD,
making the staff there think the Soviet Union is readying their missiles for
a first strike.

Max