[AccessD] Lamp-Based Solution

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 13:25:05 CDT 2007

On 10/3/07, Rocky Smolin at Beach Access Software
<rockysmolin at bchacc.com> wrote:

> So what is a LAMP-based solution?  What would you tell him about the
> problems his staff see with Access?  Is this the same old ORACLE/SQL
> parochialism we have seen before?

LAMP = Linux / Apache / MySQL / PHP

Basically open source software/solutions.

Although...

Linux can be Linux/Window/ Mac Unix

MySQL can be MySQL/PostGres or any other open source DB

PHP can be PHP, Python, Perl, or even Ruby on Rails these days.

The Access comment is the same old same old issues IT has with Access
dbs. They are just toys and not for real development.

The LAMP solution wouldn't be bad if you wanted to open up your code
for all eyes to see, since these are all non-compiled languages, but
(and I hate to say it because it sounds so derogatory) scripting
languages.

Sure you can obfuscate the code, but with enough time and some
automated tools, can be deobfuscated (is that even a word?)

I'm working on a side LAMP project right now, so I'm knee deep into it.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"