[AccessD] OT Tuesday? FW: The Most Collectible PCs

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Oct 9 19:25:29 CDT 2007

>Mine had only 64K and only 56 of that was usable!

LOL.  The board directly supported 256 kbit ram chips.  But... if you
soldered a chip on top of the bottom chip, and bent the RAS pin up on that
top chip, you could solder just that pin down into another trace to add
another 256 Kbytes onto the board.  So of course I did that mod.  Having 512
kbytes was totally awesome at the time.  Most of the SBCs (single board
computers as they were known) were only 64K or perhaps 128K.  I had an 80186
(full 16 bit processor) running at 16 mhz, and this was ~1983.  In 1986 I
bought the Epson PCXT which used the 8088 (8 bit path to memory) running at
12 mhz.  It was actually SLOWER than the machine I built myself but it ran
DOS instead of CPM which was dying by then.  Plus it has a hard disk and
could use extended memory.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting