[AccessD] Gender (was: Mucking around)

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Sep 27 12:16:19 CDT 2007

Hi Jim et al

Further, you may have to handle people who have been through a gender change. For these you may operate with an original or biological gender (for the doctor and the health care) and the legal or official (new or current) gender for anyone else. Now, as you only can change gender from  M to F or from F to M (or back in rare cases), all that is needed is a Boolean field, GenderChange, which normally is False but will have to be set to True for those in question.
Then, as the biological gender is fixed, you have:

  GenderLegal = GenderChange Xor GenderBiological

which even leaves the subtle choice wether to handle Male as True and Female as False - or vice versa - to you, while Unknown as Null always will return Null.

/gustav

>>> JHewson at karta.com 27-09-2007 18:18 >>>
I put gender in a lookup table, because in several databases, the person who enters the data is unsure of the gender of the person.  Sometimes the name gives a clue to the gender of the person, but not always.  Hence, the third choice is Unknown and I can make it the default.

Jim
jhewson at karta.com