[AccessD] Database Patent

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Sep 10 13:25:31 CDT 2007

I concur.

Drew (Though now we have another Dallas area member, maybe we'll have a
conference in Texas yet!)

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Charlotte
Foust
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 10:45 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Database Patent

Jack,

Thanks for clarifying the situation. The client may have the greatest
thing since sliced bread, but it's unlikely to be unique.  Most of us
don't bother with copyright/patent applications because any competent
programmer could come up with virtually identical code for the same
problem.  It isn't so much that it's in public domain as that there are
a finite number of ways to deal effectively with a problem, and the
developer community tends to share their methods, so eventually the code
is homogenized into something we could all claim as our own.  If the
client created a database engine, that's a different product entirely,
but I suspect you've been sold a pup.

Charlotte Foust