[AccessD] Friday fun: Lambda Expressions

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Mon Sep 24 08:04:06 CDT 2007

  I must be missing something as I don't see what the big deal is.  I
watched some of the video's on the Beta 2 release and Lambda expressions
seemed to be a significant point.  To me, it seems they've been added simply
to get something else to work (linq).

  After going through many of the links provided (thanks), I also don't see
any great advantage to supply a function in-line.  While it does make code
more compact, I think it also clouds somewhat what is really going on.
There is the potential for more errors as well.

  For example, with the example that Ken Getz gave, if I had one place where
I needed a check for IsSmall for a file based on 50 bytes and in another
based on 100 bytes, with the new way my file check code would be in two
different places in the app.

  With the old method, I would do:

 Function IsSmall(lngUpperLimit as long) as integer

  and just have a generic function to handle any requirement for checking if
a file is too small.

  To me it seems their use would be limited to things like simple math
expressions or checks.

Jim.