[AccessD] Use Regex - Create Camel Case

Michael Bahr jedi at charm.net
Fri Sep 28 13:24:46 CDT 2007

Hi John, here is one way to do it (although there are many ways to get the
same end result).  Mind you this is air code but hopefully should be
enough to get you going.  You will need to create the main loop within
your code.

Create a list of all delimiters that are used in your CSV files such as
delimiters = '%|*|$|@|!|#|&|^|_|-|,|.|;|:| '

then run through your CSV files line by line evaluating the line saving
the line into an array
thisarray = Split(line, delimiters)

then run through the array performing a Ucase on the first letter of each
word
newline = ""
For item=1 to ubound
  newline = newline & whatEverToCapFirstChar(item)
Next item

where ubound is the array size

Now here are two scripts that do the same thing, one is Perl and the other
is TCL.  Both of these languages are open source and free and can be
gotten at
http://www.activestate.com/Products/languages.plex

Perl:

my $delimiters = '/:| |\%|\*|\$|\@|\!|\#|\&|^|_|-|,|\./';
my @test = ("John colby",
            "%idiotic_Field*name",
            "hey#hey#Hey,hello_world",
            "this#is_a_test_of_the-emergency-broadcast-system");

foreach my $item (@test) {
   my $temp = "";
   my @list = split ($delimiters, $item);
   foreach my $thing (@list) {
      $temp .= ucfirst($thing);
   }
   print "$temp\n";

}

Result
d:\Perl>pascalcase.pl
JohnColby
IdioticFieldName
HeyHeyHeyHelloWorld
ThisIsATestOfTheEmergencyBroadcastSystem

TCL:

set delimiters {%|*|$|@|!|#|&|^|_|-|,|.|;|:|\ "}
set test [list {John colby} {%idiotic_Field*name}
{hey#hey#Hey,hello_world}
{this#is_a_test_of_the-emergency-broadcast-system}]

foreach item $test {
   set str ""
   set mylist [split $item, $delimiters]
   foreach thing $mylist {
      set s [string totitle $thing]
      set str "$str$s"
   }
   puts $str

}

Results
D:\VisualTcl\Projects>tclsh pascalcase.tcl
JohnColby
IdioticFieldName
HeyHeyHeyHelloWorld
ThisIsATestOfTheEmergencyBroadcastSystem

hth, Mike...