[AccessD] newbie trying to get in a post.

Mark A Matte markamatte at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 2 11:05:54 CDT 2008

Steve,

This might not be the problem...but I have seem similar occurances with a shared MDB that linked to an external datasource.  When the group started using the MDB they had to manually create the ODBC on each machine (since fixed my having same ODBC's automatically created on every machine).  The problem came from the description of the ODBC connection.

In creating the ODBC on a machine you have a field called "Description"...basically whatever you want to call it.

This example is a single MDB on a shared network used by multiple people:
 On the first computer the ODBC Description was 'MyExternalDB'.  Everything works fine.  Second Computer creates the ODBC using description  'MyExternal DB'.  If the second computer refreshes the linked table with his ODBC...the first computer's links will no longer work.  Notice the only difference in the descriptions is a 'space' between External and DB.  When we go back to each computer and ensure that each ODBC description is exactly the same on every pc...refresh the links...then everyone is ok.

This may not be your issue...shared just in case.

Thanks,

Mark A. Matte