[AccessD] It kinds of describes us all

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Thu Apr 3 10:24:19 CDT 2008

Not really, John.  The difference is that the "new man" reinvents
himself as something he never really intends to become, while we really
reinvent ourselves and become what is needed.  That is not the intent of
the "new man."  His (or her) intent is to be an expert (a la Robert
Ringer's "Winning By Intimidation").  He gets by with enough jargon to
sound good to someone who knows nothing about the subject and sells
himself as an expert on that basis.   As long as he can keep everyone
snowed, he rides high.  When the bottom falls out, he reinvents himself
again.  I've known a few of these, and I've even lost a few jobs to
them.  Their incompetence does catch up with them, but sometimes the
company fails first, at least partly as a result of their incompetence.

Charlotte Foust