[AccessD] VM for different versions of Access - Resolved for now

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Sat Apr 5 06:55:42 CDT 2008

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the good thoughts.  I love your comment "first mistake was
Win 98."  Yeah, I agree Win 98 is a mistake.  The situation, though,
required me to be creative and find an immediately workable solution,
using the tools I had to hand.  The client is using Office 97 in a mixed
operating system network (gradually shifting to Win XP SP2).  I didn't
feel comfortable retro-installing Access 97 and Word 97 alongside my
Office 2003 - 'cuz I rely on this computer for my livelihood and can't
afford to wreck it and I don't have a lot of spare modern computers
lying around.  Also, I don't have extra Win XP SP2 licenses for the VM,
but I do have a left-over set of licensed Win 98 and second edition
CDs.  So, I cobbled together a less-than-optimal system to do the
immediately needed repair for this client.

Your points are excellent and well-taken.  I will probably invest in the
VM Workstation.  I think both you and John Colby use it extensively.

William Hindman told of the Microsoft free and pre-registered WinXPSP2
install on a VHD - which looks to me to be the ultimate solution for
multiple PCs.  I have downloaded, but not yet installed it.  He also
suggested putting Access 2003 runtime on the client's system - which, if
I were absolutely certain of how to do, I probably would.  Now that the
immediate crisis is calmed I can learn how.

With the immediate problem resolved, I can focus on the future for this
client.  It is a local Habitat for Humanity chapter.  There is a
nationally available database system someone developed called
Habitracks, but the folks at this chapter do not like it and prefer to
have their own database to do things their way.  All the great
suggestions I got from the AccessD list and the DBA tech list will help
me modernize this database for them to continue doing exactly what they
want it to do.

Thanks again to you and everybody who responded and guided me through
this situation.  I have learned an astounding amount of new "stuff" in
these last four weeks!

Gratefully yours,
Tina